[erlang-questions] foldl vs foldr and ++

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Thu May 10 11:08:13 CEST 2012

Try this benchmark program with, e.g. L = lists:seq(1,100000).

-module(lr).
-export([l/1, r/1, x/1, foldr/3]).

l(L) ->
    timer:tc(lists, foldl, [fun erlang:'+'/2, 0, L]).

r(L) ->
    timer:tc(lists, foldr, [fun erlang:'+'/2, 0, L]).

x(L) ->
    timer:tc(?MODULE, foldr, [fun erlang:'+'/2, 0, L]).

foldr(F, Acc, L) -> lists:foldl(F, Acc, lists:reverse(L, [])).

lists:foldl/3 and lists:foldr/3 run a fairly even race, whereas lr:foldr/3 is consistenty slower.

BR,
Ulf W