[erlang-questions] Building, Packaging and Installing

Eric Merritt ericbmerritt@REDACTED
Tue May 8 18:57:32 CEST 2012

Sorry guys , I am late to the party.

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 4:49 AM, Tim Watson <watson.timothy@REDACTED> wrote:
> On 8 May 2012 08:43, Tobias Schlager <Tobias.Schlager@REDACTED> wrote:
>> I know that this is not a very popular opinion but to me it sounds like what you're looking for is pretty close to what maven delivers:
>
> We used maven and the maven-erlang-plugin for a long time in my
> previous job - it worked very well.

The problem is always adding the (rather large) non-erlang dependency.
Even if the barrier is small in reality, the mental/social barrier is
huge.

>> * binary-based packaging
>
> I think for a package or dependency manager, this is a given -
> otherwise you're reinventing too many other things at once. Unlike
> maven, I think what we want here is either a package manager or
> (simpler) a dependency manager - not another build tool.
>
>> * well-defined dependency management (handling version conflicts)
>> * (open source) repository managers (e.g. sonatype nexus)
>
> Eric Merrit and I have tabled a design that uses git, so you can host
> your personal/organisational repository on github and consumers simply
> add your repository to their local index.

The goal is to make it trivial for anyone to host their own repo, and
let tools that are good at that handle it. We may reinvent some of the
wheel but we can make that is minimal as possible.

>> * group id concept (could be used to avoid clashes when forking github projects)
>
> Yes we very much need this to support multiple forks of the same
> application name.

an unfortunate reality in the modern open source world.

>> * support for continuous integration (e.g. jenkins)
>
> To my mind, this is a corollary theme and not central to this
> discussion, but yes, clearly people want this.

if you get building correct, you should have CI correct as well.

>> * a manifest file (pom.xml)
>
> Sure, and you and I both know that almost nobody on this list is going
> to settle for xml. There is a maven extension that supports defining
> the pom using scala/grooxy instead, but again, I doubt it'll get much
> love here.
>
>> * built-in support for documentation and reporting
>
> No - this is the build tool's responsibility and AFAICT that is *not*
> what we're talking about here.

agreed.