[erlang-questions] Which is best? string:concat or ++?

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Tue May 8 10:40:48 CEST 2012

Here a dumb answer.

   "You might not need to concatenate them" - if all you're going to
do is output
the result later then you don't need to concatenate them. For example

       X = A ++ B,
       file:write_file("foo", X)

and

      X = [A,B],                           %%  <--- this thing is
called an iolist
      file:write_file("foo", X)

will result in identical content in the file "foo". In this case
(where you're just going
send the concatenated data to an I/O stream) you don't need to bother
concatenating the data.

If you are building complex iolists (which is very common) and you need
to flatten it, then a good strategy is to build a single iolist (X)
and then call
erlang:iolist_to_binary(X).

Using '++' when you don't need to at all is a common programming error :-)

In the cases where you do need it probably both the A and B in A++B should be
small. If A is a long string then you should look for a different algorithm.

Cheers

/Joe