[erlang-questions] New draft of frames proposal (was Re: Frames proposal)

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Fri May 4 03:28:04 CEST 2012

On 3/05/2012, at 8:56 PM, Jan Burse wrote:
> Pitty the sections do not have a @date, now
> I don't know what I have already read.

That's why my message identified the sections that
were new.

> BTW: Inline cache, when your lookup would return
> a pointer to an immutable {func,class},

Er, in frames.pdf, the pointer *doesn't* point to
{func,class}.  As section 15 makes clear with a
diagram, the cache item in a load_slot or store_slot
instruction points to something which is logically
{descriptor,offset} but can be stored more compactly.

> then you
> can cache this in one STORE op, making it amenable
> to concurrent use.

As indeed section 15 already says.

> > It's like a mouse's nest in a cat's ear
> LoL, poor kitty

It's from "Rite of Passage" by Alexei Panshin.
While in transit between The Ship and Grainau (?)
Mia Havero is told a story, and in the store the
good guy wins a fortune by asking the ogre this
riddle:
	What is not, never was, and never will be?

The answer is a mouse's nest in a cat's ear.
Rite is one of the *great* SF stories, and it has
dated very well.