[erlang-questions] New draft of frames proposal (was Re: Frames proposal)

Max Lapshin max.lapshin@REDACTED
Thu May 3 12:55:28 CEST 2012

>  - They have no default value
>  - Only atoms may be keys

These two poins are very interesting to discuss.

Problem is with handling external data. After frames will be added,
webservers will change their API to represent user query string as a
frame.

There have been done a lot in Ruby world, because Ruby also have atoms
and it has the same problem with their non-GC behaviour. So appeared
extension to Hash class, called HashWithIndifferentAccess

http_params[:key] is translated to http_params["key"] and strings are
used internally to store keys.
This is safe in terms of atom table overload and convenient.

We will not be able to use frames for handling user data if only atoms
can be keys, but if we allow to store atoms, binaries and strings as
keys, we will get a mess with different ways to introduce keys.