[erlang-questions] Building, Packaging and Installing

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Thu May 3 02:06:45 CEST 2012

On 02/05/2012 21:12, Tristan Sloughter wrote:
> Yeah, the discussion between you and Eric seemed much larger of a goal
> and one that would require mass adoption.

This is why we want to introduce 3rd party signing - so you can build +
upload stuff you depend on that isn't necessarily being published by the
original author(s). Of course our hope is that if lots of people want to
use riak/lager/etc and decide to self-sign them so they can be used as
dependencies, then the companies/teams behind those projects will be
encouraged to join in.
> It was just more than I've been looking for. I can get packages
> installed pretty easily, and if people tagged versions (and the
> version of the app was the same as the name of the tag) I would have
> almost no problems.
>
> So while what has been discussed on the Erlware list is great, I think
> even just simple changes with no new tools could make a large difference.

Sure that seems fair enough. The issue of tagging is absolutely vital
and I find it shocking that people aren't maintaining versions of things
that intended for general use. I guess that's because I've spend enough
time in a 'corporate' environment to become indoctrinated about such
things, but generally I think it is The Right Thing To Do (TM).

The fact that people are maintaining custom forks of projects in order
to be able to rely on them such seems totally wrong to me - a misuse in
that forking should be about introducing your own changes (whether they
end up going back upstream or not), but not about having to impose some
kind of artificial snapshot on external dependencies.