[erlang-questions] Frames proposal

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Wed May 2 02:35:49 CEST 2012

On 05/02/2012 02:22 AM, Richard O'Keefe wrote:
> As for #{...} vs<{...}>, it's in one way harder to write
> (to get<{, press SHIFT with left hand, and then<  and { are close
> for two-fingered right hand typing; the same is true of }>,
> but #{ requires me to hold down the shift key with my left hand
> AND press the # key with my left hand at the same time, and while
> there is a shift key on the right, { requires the use of the right
> hand).  Brackets really ought to be mirror symmetric, but I could
> live with #{...}.

Only true for a range of QWERTY keyboards. There's a lot more layouts in
the world. Incidentaly on my keyboard writing <{}> is insanely difficult
(takes a minimum of 2 seconds when trying to go fast), while #{} is not
perfect but a lot easier (maybe half a second, hard to measure at this
point). This is because the former requires me to press the sequence "<,
ALT GR {, ALT GR }, SHIFT >", while the latter only requires "ALT GR #,
ALT GR {, ALT GR }". The keys for # and { are also right next to the
other, which isn't true for < and {.

So in my case at least it's not only 1 key less, it's also a lot simpler
to type.

It's also a lot simpler to type = instead of ALT GR ~, regardless of
other considerations.

--
Loïc Hoguin
Erlang Cowboy