[erlang-questions] Erlang meets physics

Tony Rogvall tony@REDACTED
Fri Mar 16 10:12:01 CET 2012

Wow :-)

I like to see that, is it anywhere on git hub?

Very early in early in my Erlang career I help a math friend to calculate betti numbers
(simply put, calculate number of holes in an object given a triangulation of a surface description )
The oldest file is dated Jun 11 1992 :-)
I have also implemented the AKS (prime number) algorithm in, it beat the C++ code without even
trying to use all the cores (linear speedup)
Just to mention a few of the math related stuff I have been using Erlang for.

I totally agree

Lots of fun!

/Tony

On 15 mar 2012, at 19:56, pietje wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Just my 2 cents.
> I am an ex physicist too. Used to do research on QCD (Drell-Yan process) calculating Feynman diagrams.
>
> For a couple of years I've been busy writing an erlang program to handle Feynman diagrams algebraically. Lots of fun.
>
> regards, Pieter Rijken

> On Monday, 12 March 2012 02:34:04 UTC+1, Jared Kofron wrote:
> Hi All,
> I've been using Erlang at work for a few years now, and I thought I'd throw my experience out there, as
> my application is a little different than what you usually see on the list - I am a graduate student at the
> Center for Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics at the University of Washington, and use Erlang extensively
> in my work.
> In my experience, something that Erlang is really great at but doesn't receive much attention for these days
> is managing and interacting with hardware.  In any physics experiment of even modest sizes, you wind up
> having to keep track of the state of various pieces of equipment, often modify that state, and constantly
> interrogate particular values.  For example, we might want to change the current in a magnetic trap, turn
> that trap off altogether, or simply read back the voltage drop across our superconducting magnet.
>
> So far, I have deployed Erlang in this zone for two separate experiments (SNO+, a large particle physics
> experiment in Canada) and Project 8 (a small nuclear physics experiment here in Seattle).  Both times have
> been great successes, and I have found the reception of Erlang in this market to be great.  In general, what
> I have done is wrap a hardware management layer with some kind of outside world interface. For SNO+, we
> used Webmachine and RESTful control, and for Project 8 we actually conduct all communication
> by using CouchDB as a message passing interface.
>
> Physicists are suspicious creatures, but once you demonstrate the feature set that you get for practically
> free with OTP, they see the advantage pretty quickly.  On top of that, the development cycle for sophisticated
> applications can be greatly reduced - more than once it made my group float to the top in terms of meeting
> goals.
>
> In short, as far as I am concerned, Erlang has found a new niche in the world of Physics, and I intend to
> spread the word as much as I can!
>
> Jared Kofron

"Installing applications can lead to corruption over time. Applications gradually write over each other's libraries, partial upgrades occur, user and system errors happen, and minute changes may be unnoticeable and difficult to fix"