[erlang-questions] Erlang is the best choice for building commercial application servers

Jan Burse janburse@REDACTED
Thu Mar 15 00:55:31 CET 2012

Richard O'Keefe schrieb:
> Java is a language with several implementations; even within a single
> implementation the -client and -server options will give you different
> performance.
I guess the -client version is the default, and that is what I used.

 > Early publications about Mercury showed it doing list
 > manipulation usefully faster than hand-written C, which
 > was queer (but true!) because it compiled via C.

I was positively surprised by the Erlang performance of ~60ms
for the nrev example and for() implementation I used. GNU
Prolog does it in around ~250ms with for backtracking.

Didn't check YAP Prolog, but I
guess it will do it in around ~25ms.

But the Java performance also surprised me. Especially since
the code contains many new expressions. But rumors have
it that new is just a pointer decrement in Java.

Bye