[erlang-questions] memory leak in zlib:unzip

Justus mapandfold@REDACTED
Tue Mar 6 06:58:23 CET 2012

Hi all,

I found that when exceptions occur in zlib:unzip, the zlib_drv port
will be left open. So the system will run out of ports quickly.

So, when we call zlib:unzip, we must insure that the stream can be
unzipped successfully. But how could we know that without unzip it?

Maybe we need a try_unzip. But if we have try_unzip, do we need
zlib:unzip anymore? Quite a paradox here.

try_unzip(Data) ->
    Z = zlib:open(),
    zlib:inflateInit(Z, -?MAX_WBITS),
    R = case (catch zlib:inflate(Z, Data)) of
        {'EXIT', _Reason} ->
            error;
        Bs ->
            {ok, iolist_to_binary(Bs)}