[erlang-questions] [ANN] Erlang UUID

Kenji Rikitake kenji.rikitake@REDACTED
Fri Mar 2 07:48:01 CET 2012

FYI:
A crude implementation in pure Erlang is available at
https://github.com/jj1bdx/sfmt-erlang/blob/master/src/random_wh06.erl
For the 2006 Wichmann-Hill RNG which Richard mentioned below.

++> Richard O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED> [2012-03-02 15:59:58 +1300]:
[snip]

> Wichmann & Hill have since published a four-generator algorithm, see
>     Wichmann and Hill have a new generator with a longer period.
>     [2] B. A. Wichmann, I. D. Hill,
>     Generating good pseudo-random numbers,
>     Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, 51, 1614-1622 (2006).

BTW

> In fact generating full-precision random doubles is something RNG writers often neglect.

Indeed true. Providing enough bits for the mantissa digits is required.

> As for generating random integers in the range [0,N) where N is a bignum, I would love
> to be pointed to a paper on the subject.

Me too - so far all I see is for fixed-length integers.

Kenji Rikitake