[erlang-questions] correct terminology for referring to strings

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Tue Jul 31 11:24:05 CEST 2012

I'm working on a 2'nd edition of my book, and have got to strings :-)
Strings confuse everybody, including me so I have a few questions:

To start with Erlang doesn't have strings - it has lists (not strings)
and it has string literals.

I want to define a string - is this correct:

<< A "string" is a list of integers where the integers
      represent Unicode codepoints. >>

Questions:
    Is the sentence inside << .. >> using the correct terminology?
    If not what should it say?

    Is the sentence inside << ... >> widely understood, do you think this
    would confuse a lot of people?

    Is the phrase "string literal" widely understood?

Cheers

/Joe