[erlang-questions] run_erl and fsync

Damienuk Davis damienuk@REDACTED
Thu Jul 26 14:36:35 CEST 2012

In my project there are fsms that communicates with c via erl driver (port). There are io:fwrite's in the erlang side. This program along works fine. But when you run some other process with high disk access, it causes erlang program to halt even if there is enough memory and processing. If I comment the fsync is run_erl.c file then program works fine even with higher load on hard disk.
static void write_to_log(int* lfd, int* log_num, char* buf, int len)
{
  int size;

  /* Decide if new logfile needed, and open if so */

  size = lseek(*lfd,0,SEEK_END);
  if(size+len > log_maxsize) {
    close(*lfd);
    *log_num = next_log(*log_num);
    *lfd = open_log(*log_num, O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC|O_SYNC);
  }

  /* Write to log file */

  if (write_all(*lfd, buf, len) < 0) {
    status("Error in writing to log.\n");
  }

#if USE_FSYNC
  fsync(*lfd);//after commenting this line it works fine
#endif
}