[erlang-questions] Mochiwebsockets was Re: Long polling

Gordon Guthrie gordon@REDACTED
Fri Jul 20 10:24:36 CEST 2012

Gleb

There are a couple of complications - we already use one long-poll for
server-to-client updates - in that case the client posts changes and
the server works on them and then streams out updates on a separate
long-poll. Lets put that aside and focus on this use case.

For the softphone:

> 1) Do you plan to use it cross-domain or just on one domain?

Single domain

> 2) Do you want to have as low latency as possible on every browser? Or not?

It is a single registration event - is this softphone available for me
to get Twilio to push a phone call to it - the actual phone call is
handled peer-to-peer in the browser - so latency is not so important -
I have a call phone call setup time anyway

> 3) Are you interested in just one-directional server-to-client push?
> Or in both directions?

It's the server saying "are you still there?"

> 4) Do you need fast and robust connection error detection?

Needs to be reliable.

> 5) Do you use jQuery already? How large JS library will you tolerate?

Yeah, lots of JQuery - given that the phone itself doesn't ship with
much javascript it should be OK...

> 6) How large server-side library will you tolerate?

I will tolerate any size of code base if it is encapsulated nicely.
Its just when the suggestion is that I rip out mochiweb, fire in this
and that, I start thinking, erk!

> IMO in a long run it is probably a good idea to switch to Cowboy (and
> Mochicow) would help you a lot with the switch.

What would the benefits of Cowboy over Mochiweb be?

Gordon