[erlang-questions] Mochiwebsockets was Re: Long polling

Gleb Peregud gleber.p@REDACTED
Fri Jul 20 08:39:57 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:46 AM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:
> You don't need a "socket server", whatever that is, you can just use
> websockets directly in Cowboy, or if you need a long polling fallback
> there's Bullet available, which is just a library of one module + one js
> file really. Either way they don't try to anticipate your needs, they just
> transport data.

There are few basic questions which are very important here to decide
which approach to use:

1) Do you plan to use it cross-domain or just on one domain?
2) Do you want to have as low latency as possible on every browser? Or not?
3) Are you interested in just one-directional server-to-client push?
Or in both directions?
4) Do you need fast and robust connection error detection?
5) Do you use jQuery already? How large JS library will you tolerate?
6) How large server-side library will you tolerate?

If you don't care about latency that much and you are dealing with
just one domain - probably Cowboy + Bullet would be easiest to use.

If you care about latency in all browser and you have to work
cross-domain - probably SockJS would be the best solution. If you want
to port server-side part of SockJS logic into your app, it should be
pretty straightforward and I can help you with it.

IMO in a long run it is probably a good idea to switch to Cowboy (and
Mochicow) would help you a lot with the switch.