[erlang-questions] Framework advise

Wojtek Narczyński wojtek@REDACTED
Mon Jul 16 17:17:17 CEST 2012

Jayson,

 >     Web standards based - Must support HTML 5, JS, CSS, etc. I am
thinking

ChicagoBoss + twitter bootstrap worked well for us. You can code in such
a way, that the client is the client, and the server is the server
(serving JSON).

 >     MS SQL connectivity - Our existing database is MS SQL and that
won't be easy to change so it needs to be able to connect to it.

You can connect with ODBC, which runs as an external process, which
might be fast enough, or not.

 >     Testable - I will need to be able to write and run Unit,
Integration tests. I am guessing that eunit and common test will cover this.

The testing framework is much less important than the ability to isolate
components. In erlang you can test functions, but you can also
relatively easily isolate and test whole subsystems, because of erlang
message-passing nature.

 >     Easily deployable - A new server will need to be deployed and
configured in minutes. Something like Chef would be ideal since we are
already using that in other areas.
 >     In place upgrades - When a new build is ready to deployed we
should be able to deploy it, leave the previous version in place to roll
back should an issue be found.

If you mean adding capacity, virtualization is difficult to beat. Erlang
hot code updates are useful for patching. For a major roll-out of a new
version, where the database schema changes, there is no silver bullet.

 >     Easy logging.

It depends on your requirements for the logging subsystem, but in
logging in erlang is pretty hard.

--Regards,
Wojtek Narczynski