[erlang-questions] Memory issue: big swap usage

龙第九子 physacco@REDACTED
Mon Jul 16 13:07:28 CEST 2012

Thanks for your replies. I'll refactor my code to reduce some long
living processes.

Just now I tried Gustav's method as follow:

    $ grep "Swap:" /proc/27100/smaps | awk '{swap = swap + $2} END {print swap}'
    776

This indicated the beam process is using 776K swap memory. Not a big number.

It seems that the process doesn't use too much memory. (51m rss + 776K swap)
But I still don't understand why VmSize and VmData are so large, and
are growing larger everyday...

Kind regards

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 6:06 PM, Gustav Simonsson
<gustav.simonsson@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The swap column in top does not represent the current swap usage of processes.
> Rather, it represents how much swap would be necessary if the process was swapped out.
>
> If you want to find out how much swap your BEAM process is really using,
> look at the smaps file of the process and sum up the "Swap:" fields.
>
> For example:
>
> ps -e | grep beam
>  4726 pts/1    00:46:14 beam.smp
>
> grep "Swap:" /proc/4726/smaps | awk '{swap = swap + $2} END {print swap}'
>
> The output is in kilobytes.
>
> man proc | grep -A 15 smaps
>
> Regards,
> Gustav Simonsson