[erlang-questions] Local namespaces in case/try

Dmitry Groshev lambdadmitry@REDACTED
Sun Jul 15 12:40:23 CEST 2012

Richard,

don't you think about case as some sort of imperative construction? Because
I can't see why "case" can't be that "keyword to introduce new variable" —
case is isolated in some sense. It was already done with list
comprehensions, after all. Moreover, this is the case in Haskell that
you've mentioned:

Prelude> let a = [1, 2, 3]
Prelude> case a of [b, c, d] -> "ok"
"ok"
Prelude> b
<interactive>:6:1: Not in scope: `b'

So does OCaml:

# let a = [1; 2; 3] ;;
val a : int list = [1; 2; 3]
# match a with
    [b; c; d] -> b
  | _ -> 0 ;;
- : int = 1
# b ;;
Error: Unbound value b

So it's more like some obscure "feature" of Erlang for newcomers, which is
no good.
Speaking about better example:

test(Input) ->
    Result = case test1(Input) of
                 {ok, BetterInput} ->
                     case test2(BetterInput) of
                         {ok, BestInput} ->
                             do_something(BestInput);
                         {error, _Reason}=Error ->
                             Error
                     end;
                 {error, _Reson}=Error ->
                     Error
             end,
    case Result of
        {ok, _}=Ok -> Ok;
        {error, _Reason}=Error -> %% OOPS!
            do_something_on_error(Error)
    end.

I can come up with a few solutions to this compile-time error, but I can't
understand why I should. Correct indentation solves a problem of reasoning
about nested constructions.