[erlang-questions] Looking for slides of a lightning talk

Dave Cottlehuber dave@REDACTED
Thu Jul 12 09:18:28 CEST 2012

On 12 July 2012 00:30, Ian <hobson42@REDACTED> wrote:
> 2) Find rebar is not available on windows.  OK. I'll upgrade a VM I have to

Erlang & Rebar works pretty well on Windows. Props to basho + OTP
team for that. The install might not be obvious, but rebar
+ git + a recent erlang should be enough.

However getting started with Erlang dev on Windows is a little disconcerting
to start off with, and particularly for the server-side frameworks, there is
a risk that they have some dependencies on things like unix shell
scripts or specific C compiler expectations.

These are not too hard to fix usually and I've found the upstream
support here for addressing these stunningly good. Erlang/OTP rocks but
the community is out there mining the asteroid belt already!

What's hard to tell for a newcomer is what's new/bleeding edge, being actively
developed, or robust & stable. Rebar is new-ish and moving fast, and cowboy
also. So keeping a guide up to date is not straightforwards always!

I'd gladly do a guide "Erlang on Windows" if I thought there was any interest
in it - feel free to bump me offlist please.

Understanding OTP & releases is really important in erl-world and I'm not
there yet either. LYSE[1] & "OTP in Action" [2] are excellent groundings
for this but expect a while before it all sinks in.

A+
Dave

[1]: http://learnyousomeerlang.com/
[2]: http://www.manning.com/logan/