[erlang-questions] simple question about list memory consumption

CGS cgsmcmlxxv@REDACTED
Tue Jul 10 12:58:11 CEST 2012

Well, I think I have to apologize. I had the impression that the machine I
was working on was 64-bits. It is 32-bits, so, yes, 5 words per character
means the list from the lists:seq/2 resides fully in memory. My bad, sorry.

I did the test again using the loop from Richard's test and, indeed, I got
about 80 MB memory consumption for 10^7 characters which is consistent with
2 words per character in the list.

Now, to answer how free can be used in such a test:
1. execute command: watch -n 1 'free -m' (every 1 second calls free -m
(output in MB) and reports its output);
2. stabilize your OS by killing all the processes which have a non-constant
memory usage at the level of MB (that is, for several seconds the output of
the previous command should remain constant);
3. start an Erlang shell (that adds usually something like 4 MB to the used
memory);
4. load the module (usually not visible in the output of (1), but it may
add 1 MB, depending on the system state by that time);
5. execute `<module>:loop(10000000), ok.';
6. the difference in between the output from (1) after step (5) and the
output from (1) after step (4) is giving the memory used by Erlang for the
list (+ some overhead).
This is much of how Richard did it in Erlang, but using external tools to
monitor the RAM consumption. I repeated several times this and I got almost
the same result (1 MB error, but that may be an artifact of the shell or
system).

Again, I am sorry for my mistake thinking that the sequence list was empty
when lists:map/2 exited, but I was really under the impression that the
machine I was working on is 64-bits (1 word = 8 B). And thank you for
spotting my mistakes in judgement.

CGS