[erlang-questions] simple question about list memory consumption

CGS cgsmcmlxxv@REDACTED
Sun Jul 8 21:41:14 CEST 2012

Hi,

About the two lists you were speaking about (I suppose you were referring
to the output of lists:map/2 and lists:seq/2), the second is destroyed as
soon as lists:map/2 exits. So, there shouldn't be any overhead here. And,
yes, the memory consumption peaked at higher value, but stabilized itself
at the value I mentioned before.

On a 64-bits machine, 2 words = 16 B and 3 words = 24 B, so, my value of 21
B is exactly in between 2 and 3 words. I suppose you worked on 32-bits
machine or with half-world emulator and you got half of that value (or a
bit less if we are to consider that the shell is adding bigger overhead).

CGS