[erlang-questions] Push/Pull messaging using CosEvent

Avinash Dhumane avinash@REDACTED
Sun Jan 22 15:21:01 CET 2012

I have a system state partitioned into roles as suppliers and consumers, communicating over untyped push/pull messaging model. I have little familiarity in OrbixEvents on how to do this, but I am completely new to Erlang, hence taking a short cut to query on you (the community).

Supposing that both supplier and consumer are passive and thus required to be acted upon explicitly from the channel (performing the role of an agent), OrbixEvents Service does not automatically pull the supplier and push the consumer (or, let me say - I do not know how to do this in Orbix). Will this be the case too in Erlang's CosEvent implementation?

Or, is my expectation wrong that no channel code (proxies for suppliers and consumers) needs to be written to get passive supplier and consumer to communicate, and that it's the responsibility of the channel service provider to arrange for their communication once suppliers and consumers are hooked onto the channel?

Please advise.

Thanks
Avinash

PS: I have tried to use Erlang's built-in (raw) messaging model, but found that it was too hard (for me) to do it. But, then, noticed the CosEvent implementation in Erlang's library. The abstractions provided in CosEvent for decoupled communication using push/pull messaging seem indispensable (to me). Please advise also if there are similar high level abstractions available elsewhere within Erlang's domain for realising push/pull system architectures. Thanks, again.