[erlang-questions] Does Erlang pure functional programming language?

Masklinn masklinn@REDACTED
Fri Jan 20 21:02:11 CET 2012

On 2012-01-20, at 20:31 , Michael Truog wrote:
> Erlang already has pure functions that are called "guards" (these functions do not create side-effects).
Guards functions are extremely limited (in part because they need to run fast) and can't — as far as I know — be created in "userland" code. They're a special existence which is part of Erlang's kernel.

While guards are indeed pure function, they're not guards because they're pure functions but are pure functions due to then being guards.