[erlang-questions] Does Erlang pure functional programming language?

Michael Richter ttmrichter@REDACTED
Fri Jan 20 16:45:47 CET 2012

On 20 January 2012 14:38, Ahmed Al-Saadi <thaterlangguy@REDACTED> wrote:

> A good indication that a programming language is purely functional is its
> use of monads.

This is nonsense.  Mercury is a pure functional/logical language.  It does
not use monads.  Clean is a pure functional language.  It does not use
monads.  I *think* Pure is a pure functional language too.  It doesn't use
monads to my knowledge.

In the meantime monads are easily available in Scheme/Racket, ML, Perl (!)
and Clojure.  These are not pure functional languages (and one of them
isn't a functional language at all!).  (They're less easily available in
C++, Ruby and Python, incidentally.)