[erlang-questions] question how to recover a 'stateful' app when Erlang node crashes?

Roman Shestakov romanshestakov@REDACTED
Mon Jan 16 22:52:09 CET 2012

hello,

I have a problem with Erlang VM running out of memory and dying. With this I have a question about correct recovery mechanisms which involve multiple VMs.

what is the correct way to recover "stateful" Erlang application? In my case, the app. which is crashing is a complex hierarchy of fsm_processes each containing certain state. I understand how to recover stateless processes with supervisors but what is the correct way to recovery stateful apps? Clearly in my case I probably need some kind of supervisor 'node' but what would be the steps to correctly recover killed processes with their states? do I need to use a db and replay the processes from disk on another node or can I have a node with identical processes hierarchy?

Regards, Roman