[erlang-questions] Code/Hot/Loading

Jon Watte jwatte@REDACTED
Mon Jan 16 18:31:38 CET 2012

Funs are always bound to the code they are initially loaded from. Only name
look-ups are affected by code loading AFAICT.

This has been a source of exceptions in our previous development, because
the first time you load new code, F is still valid, but the second time you
load new code, the old code is purged and F is now invalid. Any call to it
will generate an exception.

We ended up wrapping our needs for lambdas in a module with state instead.
Not the most elegant, but allows us to get "dynamic lambdas." If all you
need in the fun is module:function, you can use a tuple for that instead of
a fun.

Sincerely,

jw

--
Americans might object: there is no way we would sacrifice our living
standards for the benefit of people in the rest of the world. Nevertheless,