[erlang-questions] OTP-9649 and further changes

Gleb Peregud gleber.p@REDACTED
Tue Jan 10 17:24:19 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 17:19, Yurii Rashkovskii <yrashk@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anybody (especially from the OTP team) can shed
> some light on the following subject.
>
> In R15 we've got this:
>
> OTP-9649  Tuple funs (a two-element tuple with a module name and a
>              function) are now officially deprecated and will be removed
>              in R16. Use 'fun M:F/A' instead. To make you aware that your
>              system uses tuple funs, the very first time a tuple fun is
>              applied, a warning will be sent to the error logger.
>
> Which is fine.
>
> But I was wondering if there's any word out about the fate of tuple
> modules? The ones like {erlang}:element(1). Are they expected to be
> kept around? (I certainly hope they are :)

I believe you mean parametrized modules, since they are basically a
tuples in runtime, where first element is module name. Those are two
different concepts.

In general I think that parametrized modules are here to stay, since
so many projects are using it, including OTP code itself (mnesia).
Although it would be nice if they are actually moved into "official"
part of language.

Best,
Gleb