[erlang-questions] [ANN] Cowboy 0.4.0 Released!

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Mon Jan 9 13:03:08 CET 2012

Hello!

We have finally completed the work on the new beta version for Cowboy,
tagged as 0.4.0. Cowboy can be found on Github:
     https://github.com/extend/cowboy

I first want to thank all the people and companies who've done an
awesome job submitting patches and bug reports but also testing Cowboy
and even using it in production! Thank you.

I also want to welcome Magnus Klaar in the Nine Nines team (previously
Dev:Extend), who will help me with Cowboy and will run various related
open source projects. He's already worked a lot on this release and
submitted one of the two long-awaited experimental features described below.

Highlights from this release include:

* An HTTP handler loop mechanism allowing you to easily write
long-polling handlers with timeouts and hibernation all handled directly
by Cowboy.

* Built-in header parsing functions.

* Removal of the quoted dependency by default, replaced by an Erlang
equivalent. It can of course be enabled again easily.

* Improved Websocket support for all versions including RFC 6455.

* An experimental REST protocol handler based on Webmachine and
following most of its public interface; although it uses binaries like
the rest of Cowboy.

* An experimental static file handler that uses the REST protocol
handler to serve files as efficiently as possible, written by Magnus Klaar.

The full CHANGELOG is available at the following URL:
     https://github.com/extend/cowboy/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

In addition to these changes, the Bullet project has been created and
might be of interest to anyone looking for a socket.io replacement:
     https://github.com/extend/bullet

User guides for all these projects are being worked on and will be added
to our upcoming website in a few weeks.

I am currently working on setting up commercial support for Cowboy and
our other projects. If you or your company are interested, please send
me an email.

If you need a quick answer or any help using Cowboy, drop your questions
in #erlounge on freenode (we also answer questions in #erlang, although
less regularly).

--
Loïc Hoguin
Erlang Cowboy