[erlang-questions] "detached VM" vs "VM under screen"

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Sat Jan 7 16:04:24 CET 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Zabrane Mickael <zabrane3@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi Garrett,
>
> I've tried to reproduce you example by copy and past
> on both Linux/OSX R14B04 and OSX R15B:
>
> Each time I kill one of these process:
> - beam
> - run_erl
> - heart
>
> the two others die too.

Killing beam or run_erl should result in the corresponding process
dying as well. But if run with -heart and with a correct
HEART_COMMAND, run_erl/beam be restarted.

Killing heart has the effect of killing its child processes.

> I can't explain why.
>
> By the way, the test
> echo "1 + 1." | to_erl /tmp/test/
> works perfectly

In your tests, did the "2 + 2" and "4 + 4" examples work?

Btw, piping into to_erl can be used to control the VM (e.g. calling
init:stop()), getting status info, etc. without using distributed
Erlang.

Garrett