[erlang-questions] "detached VM" vs "VM under screen"

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Fri Jan 6 19:28:15 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 5:27 AM, Zabrane Mickael <zabrane3@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Is there any preference between running a VM in a "detached mode"  (i.e erl -detached ...)
> or simply running it inside "screen" for example witout detaching from it (i.e erl ...) ?
>
> What are the pros/cons?
> Best practices?

It's an interesting idea to use screen for this. Not bad actually.

I use run_erl, which is a similar approach. I can see some advantages
of run_erl over screen/tmux/etc.

- Lighter weight (though I haven't measured by how much)
- Automatic log rotation

You can use to_erl to connect to the Erlang shell io that's running
under run_erl. You can exit that environment without killing Erlang
using CTRL-D.

It does feel a bit weird to me running a long running process in a
shell multiplexer. That seems fine for a dev/test environment, but not
for production. That said, I don't really see anything really wrong
with it. Definitely not "best practice" IMO.

E.g. I'd hate to run into some bug in the much more complex screen
util that caused Erlang to foobar.

I suggest taking a look...

http://linux.die.net/man/1/run_erl

Garrett