[erlang-questions] Type specs unavailable in code compiled from core erlang?

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Thu Jan 5 19:20:40 CET 2012

On 5 January 2012 15:29, Eric Merritt <ericbmerritt@REDACTED> wrote:

> Agreed on all most all points, except the module attributes (depending
> on what you mean by module attributes). It should be in the beam chunk
> data, and absolutely should be returned by module_info. However, I
> don't like overloading the attributes chunk with this additional data.
> It should be in its own place. Time for an EEP I think.

I didn't make myself very clear there did I. Indeed when I said
"attributes" I was referring to what gets returned from module_info/0
rather than the attributes chunk - a separate chunk would be much
better. Even better still would be the ability to do module_info(specs).
Does the existing module_info return value contain any information about
exported types? If not, would you want something like
module_info(exported_types) as well?

Also, both dialyzer and PropEr seem to have some concept of a type_server
that has utility functions for inspecting and interacting with types.
Personally I think a utility module/library (after
erl_syntax/erl_syntax_lib and the like) would make for
a worthwhile (separate) EEP also.