[erlang-questions] "detached VM" vs "VM under screen"

James Aimonetti james@REDACTED
Thu Jan 5 18:19:20 CET 2012

We run everything in detached mode, and use a bash script to connect to
the VM when we need access to it directly.

Our bash script boils down to:

exec erl $ERL_COOKIE -name ${SHELL_NAME} -remsh ${REMOTE_SHELL}

with SHELL_NAME usually generated by SHELL_NAME = "con_$(date
+%s)@`hostname`".

You won't get tab-complete on your modules/functions (I think the
standard erlang modules work though), but it works well enough for our
purposes.