[erlang-questions] PLT for R15B

Olivier BOUDEVILLE olivier.boudeville@REDACTED
Thu Jan 5 11:27:03 CET 2012

Hi,

Not exactly, the computers we use routinely have at least 8GB of RAM, so
we hadn't noticed anything until trying to do the same with older laptops.

I was thinking that due to the better compactness of 32-bit VMs and to the
potential use of swap (I *suppose* it was used indeed) this could have
worked on these computers, but even in a lean and mean context with as
much memory freed as possible before launching Dialyzer, this could not do
the trick.

Actually we integrated some time ago an automatic PLT generation into our
custom script to install Erlang (from sources), this is why we ended up
generating the PLT on different kinds of computers (not knowing to what
extent we could build once for all a PLT for a given Erlang version;
architectures and paths may differ, possibly causing issues).

It boils down in our case to run: $dialyzer_exec --build_plt -r
$erlang_beam_root --output_plt $actual_plt_file

and indeed it is quite long (less than two hours here, though) but
terminates (provided there is enough RAM of course).

Not sure such a PLT could be generated incrementally in a simple manner
with the same global level of checking?

Best regards,

Olivier.
---------------------------
Olivier Boudeville

EDF R&D : 1, avenue du Général de Gaulle, 92140 Clamart, France
Département SINETICS, groupe ASICS (I2A), bureau B-226
Office : +33 1 47 65 59 58 / Mobile : +33 6 16 83 37 22 / Fax : +33 1 47
65 27 13

bengt.kleberg@REDACTED
Envoyé par : erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED
05/01/2012 10:53
Veuillez répondre à
bengt.kleberg@REDACTED

undisclosed-recipients:;
cc
erlang-questions@REDACTED
Objet
Re: [erlang-questions] PLT for R15B

Greetings,

You mention that you no longer get memory exhaustion when building a PLT
for OTP. Is this correct? When I did

dialyzer -build_otp -r lib/*-0/ebin

I run out of memory on a 4 GB Linux machine.

bengt