[erlang-questions] has anyone cross compiled HiPE?

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Wed Feb 29 15:21:45 CET 2012

Answering my own post

>   Q1: Has anyone already managed to cross-compile HiPE for ARM?

I got mail from Frank Hunleth confirming that he'd done it. He also
gave me his patches. He plans to submit them to erlang-patches.

It's fairly straightforward, the main wrinkle is that you need to run
'hipe_mkliterals' on the intended architecture. There are a few ways
to do that.

Frank did that by using qemu (a general purpose CPU emulator).

I did it by running hipe_mkliterals on the embedded system and copying
over the results.

>   Q2: Can someone give me a quick rundown as to how HiPE cross compilation
>       is meant to work? [Here I was mostly asking how to make .beam files
>       with ARM native code in them]

For now, I do it by compiling the Erlang modules on the target. This
is slow, e.g. compiling the 'string' module takes 400ms on my PC and
about 40s on the target.

Matt