[erlang-questions] Sending term vs binary

Lukas Larsson lukas@REDACTED
Tue Feb 28 15:12:33 CET 2012

It would always* be greater as when doing binary_to_term and
term_to_binary everything is copied to a special heap. So instead of
doing a simple copy from one heap to another, you would do an encode
via copy to binary heap, send reference, decode via copy from binary
heap.

There might be something to gain if you are going to send the huge
term in between a chain of processes without decoding it, but that
seems like an unlikely scenario.

Lukas

* Note that I haven't done any measurements on this, it is based
purely on what I remember beam works.