[erlang-questions] Why are messages between processes copied?

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Thu Feb 23 13:00:05 CET 2012

Richard underscores an important point: one reason to keep apparent
communication costs high is that, to a good first approximation, they
already *are* high in real life and (compared to CPU operation costs)
will only go higher.

A major revelation for me when I took a VLSI design course a few
decades ago: digital signals crossing chips don't move at the speed of
light, they take *quadratic* time as a function of distance. And we
haven't even started talking about power requirements, especially when
signals have to propagate off the chip.

One might take great comfort in a shared heap, thinking "ah, there's
so little copying now." But if stuff has to get copied around the
memory hierarchy anyway (albeit transparently via cache coherence and
cache replenishment), you're not really winning much. You might
*think* you're enjoying a wealth of computer power. But spare a
thought for the hapless geek who inherits your code and is asked to
repartition your system so that processes that used to share an
address space no longer do. What might have been performance
bottleneck so wide as to be only subliminally confining will narrow
down to ... the hypodermic needle through the camel's eye. And camels
can kick hard. (They also spit, I'm told.) The caravan will move on
without you, while you desperately repack everything the right way,
and beg rides from others. So much for your wealth of computing power
then, eh?

-michael turner