[erlang-questions] ANNOUNCE: adapter_pattern for mochiweb/cowboy/misult and scripting language

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Wed Feb 22 07:30:29 CET 2012

"I am a big fan of Alan and his viewpoints ;-). Still at the core [1]
the DOM is a recursive tree data structure (with destructive
updates)."

The source you cite doesn't go quite that far. In fact, it's
explicitly *not* committing to a data representation.

"Most of the APIs defined by this specification are interfaces rather
than classes. That means that an implementation need only expose
methods with the defined names and specified operation, not implement
classes that correspond directly to the interfaces. This allows the
DOM APIs to be implemented as a thin veneer on top of legacy
applications with their own data structures, or on top of newer
applications with different class hierarchies. [...] The DOM Level 2
API does not define a standard way to create DOMImplementation
objects; DOM implementations must provide some proprietary way of
bootstrapping these DOM interfaces, and then all other objects can be
built from there."

(Note that "method" comes originally from Smalltalk, Smalltalk comes
originally from Alan Kay, and Alan Kay thought more in terms of
"messages" to objects. Note also that they speak of "data structures"
in the case of "legacy applications", but only of "class hierarchies"
in the case of "newer applications."  A class hierarchy doesn't have
to specify classes of data structures.)

So: if someone were to write a browser in Erlang in which all DOM
elements were represented as processes, I'd expect the architects of
DOM to shrug and say, "It's basically compliant with the standard if
Javascript works. As for your implementation style... well, whatever
floats your boat."

"A browser thus is a typical instance of the model view pattern."

I'd write this as "Given that a *typical* browser takes the view of
DOM as a tree with destructive updates, it typically implements the
model-view pattern." Likewise for the server side, if your web app
represented model *and* view as a tree of DOM proxy objects, with each
object an Erlang process.

It might be a dumb way to do it (as I said, anybody taking up this
everything-a-process idea should work back from its extremism to
whatever makes sense), but it could still be a standards-compliant
implementation.

-michael turner