[erlang-questions] ANNOUNCE: adapter_pattern for mochiweb/cowboy/misult and scripting language

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Tue Feb 21 03:32:59 CET 2012

"IMHO a DOM object is a data structure (term) ..."

But in the browser, a DOM object represents something that's
*happening*, even if what's "happening" appears to us as a static
display in a browser window. When you delve into what's happening in
the hardware in order to make the right photons spray out toward your
retina from any given point, you find out there's a lot going on. You
can tell the DOM object to make something different happen, just by
changing the values in it. Ontologically, that makes it a process. And
(I would say) an object in Alan Kay's original sense:

 http://erlang.2086793.n4.nabble.com/Erlang-quot-object-oriented-quot-after-all-td2101240.html

So why not represent the state of that object as the arguments to a
tail-recursive function that waits for messages and sends messages? At
least as a first cut?

"... therefore I would be more interested in composable abstraction
over these terms, much like a parser abstracts over concrete syntax."

I understand the appeal of that, but ... parsers have the luxury of
chomping through a meal that sits still. You can make rules about how
morsels should be arranged on the plate. As soon as you go dynamic,
you've got things crawling around on your plate -- possibly capable of
reproduction as well. You're sending programs, and programs can write
programs. You're back to how we compose "abstractions" in
Turning-complete programming languages, and your composability is
defined by little more than the grammar of the language -- which can't
really tell you much about what's happening when a program runs, or
else we'd have algorithms that solve the Halting Problem.

Anyway, if you want the ultimate in composable abstraction for the
web, something "much like a grammar," don't you end up back at
XML/XSLT?

-michael turner