[erlang-questions] Thoughts on EHE - the PHP killer

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Mon Feb 20 20:54:00 CET 2012

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 01:17:19 +1100, Tim Watson <watson.timothy@REDACTED>
wrote:

> On 19 February 2012 03:39, Steve Vinoski <vinoski@REDACTED> wrote:
>> To paraphrase:
>>
>> .yaws file: sprinkle a little Erlang into your HTML
>> appmod: sprinkle a little HTML/XML/JSON/whatever into your Erlang
>>
>> An appmod is like a servlet, I suppose. It's code that handles
>> requests made to a configured portion of the server URI space (the
>> path can be "/" to handle all requests to that server), and can do
>> pretty much anything it needs to in order to fulfill each request.
>>
>> In my own development work with yaws, I use appmods almost exclusively
>> because they're totally flexible.
>>
>> --steve
>
> Thanks steve, that was the understand I had come to from looking at
> what's on the site. What I haven't quite figured out is how the stuff
> in an out/1 function gets interspersed with the surrounding HTML and
> what happens when there are multiple out/1 definitions and so on.

Say you have a file:

...blah1...
<erl>.. out/1...</erl>
...blah2...
<erl>.. out/1...</erl>
...blah3...

IIRC, the individual <erl></erl> tags within the same file are compiled
into seperate Erlang modules at runtime when the file is first requested
and the compiled modules are cached. out/1 is then called for each module
and the outputs combined with the text outside the <erl> tags. Something
like...

send(Blah1),
send(mod1:out(Arg)),
send(Blah2),
send(mod2:out(Arg)),
send(Blah3)

> But frankly, I'm *much* more likely to use appmods anyway, as like you
> say
> they're a lot more like a servlet.
>
> I think I might go away and wire up some
> https://github.com/hyperthunk/annotations with so that you can write a
> handler that takes parts of the request URL and other bits from the
> Arg record declaratively. I think it will be quite easy to write an
> appmod that uses this to reroute the request, giving me something that
> looks a bit like this:
>
> -controller({"/accounts/{account_type}", 'POST', include_body}).
> get_account(AccountType, PostBody, YawsArg) ->
>
> -controller({"/accounts/{account_type}/{account_number}/", 'GET'}).
> get_account(AccountType, AccountNum, YawsArg) ->
>
> Obviously this isn't as cool as a webmachine-a-like running on YAWS,
> but I *think* I can make it work quite easily and it makes for more
> convenient mapping of URLs to controller/handler module + function.
>
> Next question I have is, how hard would it be to do something like a
> servlet filter in YAWS? I could do this quite well using annotations -
> that's how ErlangWeb does it, albeit with macros instead - but is that
> the best way? It would look something like this (and is quite easy to
> implement using annotations):
>
> -secured({auth_provider, oauth}).
> -controller({"/accounts/{account_type}/{account_number}/", 'GET'}).
> get_account(AccountType, AccountNum, YawsArg) -> ....
>

> Is there something else in YAWS like appmod that'll do a filter chain,
> or am I better off using annotations?

This is a great idea. Your annotations tools would be really useful here.

What would REALLY be cool is a set of general-puprose reusable annotations
specifically for yaws, not only for code but for default content too.

- Edmond -