[erlang-questions] Thoughts on EHE - the PHP killer

Matti Oinas matti.oinas@REDACTED
Sun Feb 19 08:37:57 CET 2012

On 02/19/2012 02:29 AM, Dale Harvey wrote:
> PHP 'died' along time ago with python (django) and Ruby (rails) and
> more recently Node.js or client side 'MVC'
>
> Every one of those moved away from embedding the host language in the
> templates and used a basic interoperable templating system because
> embedded php / erlang just generated terrible code
How come django is better than embedding PHP or erlang code into
template? Django just adds one language so instead of 2 you must use 3
to get a working template. It still fails to separate logic from the
presentation so embedding is a better option because you have one less
language to learn and you have all the power of the embedded language. I
have used many different template systems and I always end up using
plain old embedding when I'm writing software with PHP. Only thing that
is better with django than with embedded PHP is that the template code
looks a litle bit better in editor.

Matti