[erlang-questions] Thoughts on EHE - the PHP killer

Wes James comptekki@REDACTED
Sun Feb 19 04:20:56 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Tim Watson <watson.timothy@REDACTED> wrote:
> On 18 February 2012 20:05, Wes James <comptekki@REDACTED> wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 4:13 AM, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> wrote:
>>> Thoughts on EHE
>>>
>>> I'm playing with a little language for writing web applications.
>>> It's called EHE. All it is HTML with embedded Erlang
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>> Isn't this what is in YAWS already?
>>
>> http://yaws.hyber.org/dynamic.yaws
>>

> It kind of is isn't it, although I must admit I'm a bit confused by
> the relationship between the erlang code and the surrounding HTML,
> especially as none of the examples seems to have any html around them.
> What's the difference between .yaws files and an appmod? The latter
> 'feels' more natural to me, although clearly I don't really understand
> how the former works.

How I think of .yaws vs appmods:

.yaws files are like .php files.  You can have html content with
erlang interspersed throughout the html with <erl> </erl>.

appmods are erlang modules where in yaws.conf you can control the url
paths that run the appmod web application

more details on appmods here -> http://yaws.hyber.org/appmods.yaws

-wes