[erlang-questions] Thoughts on EHE - the PHP killer

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Sun Feb 19 01:14:20 CET 2012

On 18 February 2012 17:20, Gordon Guthrie <gordon@REDACTED> wrote:
> +1 ditto
>
> There are still internationalisation issues to resolve but pure Ajax MVC is
> so much better than rendering.

It's not quite that simple in practise though is it. We have a large
(some would call it 'enterprise' but I hate that word) application
that services many client applications in front of a meta-data
registry/repository. The primary interface for this is a RESTful web
service exposure, although we do offer other interfaces (SOAP and
AMQP) and we serve up both JSON and XML.

In serving up XML, we have found that numerous clients want a slightly
(or sometimes significantly) different representation of the data, so
we allow some post processing of the request using XSLT before it is
delivered to the client. The clients are almost exclusively web
applications using Ajax calls to fetch the data and chewing on it in
various ways (depending on what javascript++ nonsense the UI is
implemented with).

So in that case, we've got your 'pure Ajax MVC' going on - although
I'm not convinced I really understand your use of MVC in this case,
but then I think it's a generally confusing and misused pattern name
anyway - but we also have Template View going on in the server.