[erlang-questions] Misultin EOL

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Sat Feb 18 17:58:17 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Jesse Gumm <gumm@REDACTED> wrote:
> Well that is good news to hear that param modules are here to say.

Well actually it's the abuse of PMs that will stay.

That {Mod,a,b,c}:foo(x,y) means foo(x,y,{Mod,a,b,c})
is an accidental side effect of the way parameterised modules
were implemented.

The "official way of creating a PM" is with Mod:new(...)
and NOT PM = {Mod,a,b,c}. Somebody (I don't know who)
discovered how to build a PM *without* calling Mod:new.

I discovered this when reading the misultin code since this
has never been documented. I fell mentally off my chair - I had no
idea this was possible. I think (I speculate here) that
misultin got the idea from mochiweb, but how mochiweb got the idea I know not.

It's actually a very nice mechanism - the MFA and fun alternatives are
a few characters more and less pretty
so it will stay.

/Joe