[erlang-questions] Misultin EOL

Roberto Ostinelli roberto@REDACTED
Thu Feb 16 23:02:13 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Michael Truog <mjtruog@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am very concerned about the fact Misultin will no longer be developed,
> mainly because I don't see how cowboy has been able to provide the same
> performance and stability Misultin has provided.  I understand there has
> been a great push for people to use cowboy, but I think it really requires
> loadtest result comparisons with Misultin to drive more serious usage.  A
> good way to start would be to show that cowboy can surpass or at least be
> on-par with Misultin in a benchmark similar to
> http://www.ostinelli.net/a-comparison-between-misultin-mochiweb-cowboy-nodejs-and-tornadoweb/.  How can we compare cowboy and Misultin stability (i.e., for how long has
> cowboy been stable in production)?  Is cowboy going to be able to take the
> lead on HTTP Erlang web server performance where mochiweb and yaws have
> been unable to (please don't bother to flame this, those people that don't
> care about performance, but care about Erlang)?
>
> So, this change just leaves me with a bunch of questions that have no
> clear answers available.  It is sad that we are losing stability due to
> hype, which seems like an uncommon trend among Erlang, but I assume this is
> more of a comment on the community rather than the language.  Thank you for
> your efforts on Misultin!
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

hi michael,

as stated in that old benchmark, please do not take wrong conclusions out
of it. there's nothing in there which talks about stability and other
things. i'm happy that i've published because it has brought *a lot* of
attention to erlang, but i probably wouldn't do it again: benchmarks like
this are probably more confusing than anything else.

i'm not going for 'hype', but tend to be a little realistic. i've been
developing misultin mainly by myself with the support of the community.
cowboy has had a fast adoption and lot of developer which i believe to be
very good are actively and jointly working on it.

i'm obviously running misultin in production since i've built it because i
needed it: i'm simply gradually gonna consider cowboy for my new projects.

r.