[erlang-questions] VM using only 2 out of 8 schedulers available

Knut Nesheim knutin@REDACTED
Thu Feb 16 10:19:12 CET 2012

Thanks for a quick reply.

During the GMT night which is our low point, we see quite low traffic
on each machine with maybe 5% cpu utilization of each of the 8 cores.
This could explain why some schedulers are put as idle. When traffic
picks up, we're using around 25% of each core.

The problem for us is that when traffic picks up again, the VM did not
start using the idle schedulers again. erlang:statistics(run_queue)
reports that there almost always are processes waiting, with peaks of
around 20 processes in our case. This causes much higher latency than
when using all cores.

We will try pushing more load to this node to see if it starts using
the idle schedulers.

Thanks
Knut