[erlang-questions] [erlang-patches] add compiler checked atoms

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Tue Feb 14 09:44:14 CET 2012

Hi,

I don't think this is a good way to introduce declared atoms.

We already have the -type and -spec notation for definition of
types and function signatures which are then used by Dialyzer for type
checking.
I don't think we should introduce yet another notation that is not
harmonized with -type and -spec.
It is already possible to declare atoms in -type and -spec. Why not use
this already present notation and add
optional checking of atoms against declared atoms inside -type and -spec
instead.

With the suggested -atom declaration we will probably get the same atoms
declared 2 times with different notations and I think that
will clutter down the code with redundant information to an
unacceptable degree.

/Kenneth, Erlang/OTP Ericsson