[erlang-questions] The future of Erlang and BEAM

Miles Fidelman mfidelman@REDACTED
Mon Feb 13 15:32:38 CET 2012

Somehow, this conversation reminds me of Virding's First Rule of
Programming - as posted to this list
on 1/11/2008 :-)

-------- reposted message -----

After reading the blogs about how good Erlang's concurrency model is and how
we just just made a super implementation of it in XXX I have been led to
formulate Virding's First Rule of Programming:

Any sufficiently complicated concurrent program in another language contains
an ad hoc informally-specified bug-ridden slow implementation of half of
Erlang.

This is, of course, a mild travesty of Greenspun (*) but I think it is
fundamental enough to be my first rule, not the tenth.

Robert

(*) "Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: any sufficiently complicated C
or Fortran program contains an ad hoc informally-specified bug-ridden slow
implementation of half of Common Lisp."

--------