[erlang-questions] Erlang on ARM

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Mon Feb 13 06:55:47 CET 2012

I should also mention that my colleague doing IR on an Android phone
has fallen foul of Linux memory management:  by default the OS will
overcommit virtual memory.  So his program ask for memory, is told
it has been given it, and then some random service gets shut down
because there isn't that much.  If I recall correctly, it was sshd
that got killed the first time.  While it was an Android _phone_,
I think it was some other Linux he'd installed on it; I remember
he and a student had the dickens of a job getting gdb to work on it.

Overcommitment must be a problem for other people running Erlang on
Linux.  What, other that a few incantations as root, do you/can you
do about it?