[erlang-questions] The future of Erlang and BEAM

Attila Rajmund Nohl attila.r.nohl@REDACTED
Sat Feb 11 14:58:00 CET 2012

2012/2/11, Radek <poprosturadek@REDACTED>:
[...]
> But after "wow effect" has gone, I discovered that there are many high
> performance Java libraries that seem to resolve many problems that
> Erlang is theoretically best suited for (real-time, low-latency
> applications, concurrency, fault-tolerance, etc.). Moreover, it seems
> that there are things that, despite Erlang profile, are just not
> possible to achieve on BEAM (like LMAX Disruptor concurrent framework).
>
> So the question arises: is Erlang still the best platform to build such
> demanding applications ? Wouldn't it be better if we stick to one, very
> mature (J)VM and try to make it even better than trying to achieve
> something similar with less resources available (size of OTP team vs.
> JVM team, supporters, etc) ? And is it possible at all to achieve this
> kind of performance and adoption with BEAM ?

The feature I really like in Erlang is it's debuggablity. I can
connect to the live system, I can get an Erlang shell on the VM and
can inspect the system real time. I can also load code (not only to
the live system), which makes development really fast.