[erlang-questions] The future of Erlang and BEAM

Radek poprosturadek@REDACTED
Sat Feb 11 13:20:54 CET 2012

# the same as above, sorry for inconvenience

Hi Ulf,

thank you very much for answer.

I understand that Erlang has been created in purpose of managing
coordination complexity and it does it's job well.
But, maybe I'm a bit of devil's advocate, let's say that we (by which I
mean mostly OTP team because of their knowledge of Erlang intrinsics but
others too) could follow similar direction that Clojure's creator Rick
Hickey took. Which means, to build Erlang on JVM, using tools that we
already have (like earlier mentioned Java libraries, etc) and optimize
it for using with JIT.

Of course, it's not obvious that (despite being big effort) it would
bring desired performance (although, it seems it would) but some
advantages for sure, like ubiquity of JVM, wide gremium of
supporters/maintainers, ease of deployment (even single .jar maybe),
access to huge variety of other languages and libraries, and even some
minor things like proper module managament, etc.

As I said before, I'm rather novice in Erlang world (still digging
through Erlang and OTP in Action) so all above may be
wrong/incomplete/etc. I had this idea some time ago so I finally took
decision to write about my concerns here.

Greetings,
Radek